Ref: DCLM WORKER’S RETREAT
Luke 24: 46-47, Acts 5:30-32, 1 Cor.9:16-23, Gal.1:15-16,
When God calls us to conversion it is the beginning of a walk with God but many believers lose sight of the implications of this conversion too soon. Conversion is turning away from the old and redirecting your life towards Christ and living as Christ pleases. One of the implications of conversion is that the convert becomes a representative of God on earth, in the community and in the society they find themselves. Believers are ambassadors for the Lord, for the Kingdom and for the church. Conversion births out an unquenchable zeal in the believer that pushes that believer to go all out and do anything and everything for the Kingdom. The believer dares the dangers of life and fights the course that the Lord has given them. They traverse land and see doing the bid of the master for the singular errand of winning men and women to the Lord who has graciously given them eternal life. This they do with an unsurpassed zeal that defies human logic because the believer now sees beyond that which is human, carnal and mundane. When the believers are sanctified they receive more grace to devote all their lives, time and resources to the Lord as a token of their deep affection for God. True believers lay at the feet of Christ all that they are, all that they possess and all that they will ever become. God is enthroned on their heart. Their inner thoughts and feelings are purged so that they could now fully serve the Lord without any distraction. This is the picture of the believer whose life pleases the Lord. This the believer who will receive more grace to accomplish that which he has been called to do in the Kingdom. May the Lord remove all the scales from our eyes like he did for Paul when Ananias prayed for him so that we will be re-envisioned to accomplish the ministry that we have received from the Lord. We shall examine this message in the following three perspectives for better assimilation.
- PERCEPTION OF GOD’S INJUNCTION ON SANCTIFIED BELIEVERS FOR SOUL-WINNING
- PRACTICAL GOSPEL INITIATIVES FOR SEEKING THE LOST IN THE COMMUNITY
- THE PLACE OF GREAT ZEAL FOR IMMEDIATE SEARCH FOR CONVERTS BY SOUL-WINNERS
1. THE PERCEPTION OF GOD’S INJUNCTION ON SANCTIFIED BELIEVERS FOR SOUL-WINNING
Isaiah 6:1-5, 6-11, Jeremiah 1:4-10, John 1:13-17, Acts 9:15-18, John 15:16, 2Tim.2:20-21
A vessel is a container (such as a cask, bottle, kettle, cup, or bowl) for holding something. A person into whom some quality (such as grace) is infused. A Christian is a child of light, a true vessel of the Lord. When the Lord calls us he chooses us and sanctifies and prepares us for every good work. A chosen vessel has been created for a specific purpose. He is like a container holding very important liquids for human life, or a tube that transports blood throughout the human body. When a person is a vessel he becomes an instrument in the hands of God. He becomes a person or an agency favored by God in the furtherance of God’s agenda on earth. Such are those who God has graciously called to carry the Gospel to mankind. There is a divine injunction on every believer to be involved in bringing men to Christ. It is a divine call, a divine injunction, a sacred duty that cannot be shelved. Such men and women are:
- Called Through Salvation (Matt. 4:19)
- Cleansed Through Sanctification of the Spirit (1 Peter 1:2, 2Tim. 2: 21)
- Consecrated Through separation (2 Cor.6:17, 7:1)
- Commissioned By the Spirit’s power (Acts 1:7-8, 2:16-18,21)
- Commanded By Divine Imperative (Matt. 28:18-20, Mk.16:15-18)
2. PRACTICAL GOSPEL INITIATIVES FOR SEEKING THE LOST IN THE COMMUNITY
Rom. 15:14-17, 18-21, John 4:34-38, Matt. 9:375-38, Luke 10:2-3,9,17-19, 2 Thess.3:1
If believers want to obey the Gospel injunction then the Lord expects them to take the initiatives to show obedience. Sanctified believers are not slothful believers, they are not lukewarm and fearful believers. They are serious agents of the Gospel using all the grace within their reach to win the lost for Christ. They are sheep in the midst of wolves (Matt. 10:16) but they are unperturbed. Jesus, the Apostles, Paul and all great soul-winners used a combination of:
- Prayer – (Individual soul-winners, the church and groups seeking the Lord for souls must pray with passion (John 4:34-35, Matt. 9:37-38)
- Preaching– The Lord commands us to go out and preach. The command is “GO” and the other is “PREACH” (Acts 5:20, Matt.28:19, Mk.16:15. Nothing else, nothing less. All other initiatives for soul-winning are good and they may have their own place in Gospel outreach but none of them can replace the divine obligation to “GO AND PREACH’. We go to the people; to their houses, meet them on the streets, go to them in the schools and colleges, at the market places, at the football parks, at the funeral grounds, at the party grounds, in the vehicles, in the churches, at the bus stops, at the malls and we open our mouth and talk to them about Christ. That is soul-wining-Not just sharing materials but also preaching with our voice; that is the point here.
- Power- The apostles witnessed with great power and we are called upon to be filled with the power of the Spirit to be able to enter every stronghold of the devil to bring the captives out of the danger zone. (Acts 4:33)
Some practical conventional and contemporary initiates for soul-winners
- Street evangelism in twos or threes on some special days of the week
- House to house evangelism-knocking gates approach
- Special invitations to some special revival programs in the church
- Friendship evangelism- man to man woman to woman friendship for the purpose of winning the person to Christ
- Love evangelism approach-That is meeting a strategic need of someone for the purpose of bringing him or her to Christ
- Adoption for evangelism- Carefully adopting a child or youth as your own child for the purpose of bringing him/her up in the Lord and by so doing getting him/her born again and integrated into the Kingdom- it takes time, resources and commitment but it worth it.
- Church Groups Evangelism-The adult men, women, youth ministry, children ministry, and campus ministry target those in the area of their ministry.
- Town/Village/ Community outreaches- specific time devoted for Gospel outreaches to the hinter lands
- Community evangelism and outreaches scheduled by House Fellowships, Zones, Districts, Group of Districts, and church location basis
- School/campus outreaches
- Professional outreach programs-to specific professional groups
- Zoom conference evangelism
- Whatsup Group evangelism
- Social media evangelism (Facebook, twitter, etc)
- Events evangelism-use specific events like a festival in the town or Christmas or Easter etc as the conduit point to preach Christ
- Specialized areas evangelism- Hospital, prisons etc
- Community, Town, City crusades
- Special day/month/week in the month for church members outreach in the immediate community
- Skills training Evangelism- Gather people in the city, town, community or village and providing some training in practical skills training and giving them the Gospel (the women ministry, Youth and campus ministries could take advantage of this type of outreach in the communities.
- Community project outreach (find a need in the community and solve it with the community groups and soul-winning will become a more profitable venture in the community (This is technically called Holistic Evangelism)
Paul said ‘I am made all things to all men that I might by all means save some’ (1 Cor.9:22b)
3. THE PLACE OF GREAT ZEAL FOR IMMEDIATE SEARCH FOR CONVERTS BY SOUL-WINNERS
1 Cor. 9:16-17, 19-23, John 2:13-17, Ps.69:9, 2Kings 10:16, Acts 5:27-29, Acts 16:6-10
If you have zeal, it means you are willing, energized, and motivated. Zeal is often used in a religious sense, meaning devotion to God devotion to a religious cause, like being a soul-winner or a missionary. Zeal is a feeling of gusto and enthusiasm which pushes one to do things he or she will not ordinarily do. If there is anything that sanctified believers need today to be able to stand in the gap and continuously win souls for Christ it this single ingredient call ZEAL. Paul was an epitome of religious zeal in his days and many such like we can find in the Bible and in contemporary times. Soul-winners need a double doze of zeal to be successful in the project. Soul-winning is not complete until the soul that has been won is fully integrated into the community of God’s people-that is the church. There must be structure follow-up, visitation and careful supervision of that convert until he or she is fully grounded in the faith (Matt.28:20).
Some topics to use to follow-up new converts: Justification By Faith, Assurance of Salvation, Benefits of the New Life, Searching The Scripture And Quiet Time, The Family of God, Restitution and Christian Dressing (Ref. Converts’ Study Series, 2017 By W.F. Kumuyi)
IF YE KNOW THESE THINGS, BLESSED ARE YE IF YE DO THEM!